Friday, January 22, 2010

Where have we been?

I know, I know... we've been bad bloggers. But really -- it's been a bit of a slow month!

Ty has been doing his CELTA pre-assignments (he has pages and pages of homework, and the course hasn't even started yet!) with a vengeance. I've started my MA with less of a vengeance (as I'm still waiting for a textbook to arrive and the first few units were reviews of basic concepts).

At both of my schools, mid-year exams are underway, meaning that I've been doing lots and lots of correcting: Which really isn't blog-worthy. One thing that is blog-worthy is the "breakfasts" that the teachers have before they start correcting: Picture 12-15 women, sitting on the floor, with plates and plates of salads, hummus, falafel, bread, exotic mixes of grilled veggies ("This recipe is from Jordan/Syria/Tunisia," they say as they fill your plate to overflowing). Besides being incredibly delicious, the breakfasts (eaten around 11:00) are also wonderful bonding experiences. Maybe the coolest thing, though, is that, when everyone is relaxed in an all-female setting, the hijabs and veils start coming off, and you actually get to see what everyone's hair looks like (long, highlighted, curly... and everyone suddenly looks 10 years younger).

The big news, of course, is that my Mom is coming to visit for a few weeks. During that time, we'll take her to Dubai (we have tickets to go to the top of the Burj!), and Abu Dhabi to see the Guggenheim exhibit at the Emirates Palace, as well as a few local events, including the famous Camel Festival, which is happening a 5-minute drive away.

This event made news last December when Sheikh Hamdan (who sometimes parks his helicopter in the soccer field behind our apartment building)
paid almost $3 million for a camel there. Anyway, this year's festival is sure to be quite special as Sheikh Hamdan has done a lot in the past few months, since his arrival at the palace in Liwa, to bring attention to the area.


Of course, I'll also drag my Mom to school with me, so that she can have a breakfast or two...

No comments:

Post a Comment